Community Feature Requests

Retroactive lists

Retroactive lists for paths and query strings would be useful.

Since the script is loaded for every page you know all the paths a visitor has seen (it's in the referrer header, and you can send it along). If you save this — you probably already do — that should enable retroactive lists.

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlexanderAlexander shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChristopherChristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea. It would be incredibly useful to create one general audience, and then at future dates, be able to slice and dice that audience into sub audiences.

• NeerajNeeraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be very good. Both Google and Facebook offer this already.

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! DEFINITELY YES! I was trying to setup my first campaign right now and instantly thought about this. I've been cookieing visitors for a few weeks and realized that I should have created a specific list. This would be perfect.

• AlexanderAlexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I add the script presumably you know the paths visited for each visitor. So you'd have data along these lines stored:

# user_id: 123
        # cookie_id: 456
        # paths: ["/contact", "/product-a", "/checkout"]

My guess is such data would enable me to retroactively (after 123 visited my site) add a list with everyone who visited "/product-a" and that 123 would then be included in this list.

Hope this clear things up. There may be other aspects playing into this, for example you seem to be setting cookies on other domains than your own, which may or may not affect whether this is possible.

• Ritesh PatelRitesh Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By retroactive lists I think Alexander means being able to create lists that target previous visitors where the targetting was too general at the time.

An example of this is where we put the tracking code on our site but didn't create any lists (however we did trigger a few different events) and now we have 1000+ cookies that we'd like to create new campaigns/list that segment by path or event on those existing visitors.

• Brad FloraBrad Flora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you spell out some specific use cases for this sort of info in a campaign? The more specific the better to help us understand the exact outcome you're looking for.

I'm not 100% clear on what "retroactive" means in this context.

Feedback and Knowledge Base